News & Events
Dr. Solomon's Huffington Post Blog
Our very own, Dr. Solomon, is writing a blog at The Huffington Post! We have archived them below. Be sure to check back here every week for more.
- The Internet Diagnosis - 1/24/14
- True Confessions of a Veterinarian - 11/26/13
- Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome: Dementia in Pets - 11/11/13
- Invisible Dental Disease in Pets - 10/21/13
- Struck by a Bat: My Son's Rabies Scare - 9/3/13
- Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Your Pet's Urine - 8/2/13
- Relief for Itchy Pets - 6/4/13
- Flea and Tick Control: Your Decision - 5/6/13
- The Socially Responsible Pet - 3/29/13
- The Secretive Pet - 3/11/13
- Don't Give a Dog a Bone - 2/11/13
- The Scoop on Your Pet's Poop - 1/14/13
- Rat Bait on Chicago Streets - 12/14/12
- Diabetes in Pets - 11/28/12
- Don't Let Strangers Feed Your Pet - 10/29/12
- Is Anesthesia Safe for Your Pet? - 10/17/12
- Caring for an Arthritic Dog or Cat - 9/27/12
- Selecting a Veterinarian - 9/12/12
- Raw Confusion in the Pet Food Industry - 8/23/12
- Indoor Cats Are Not Disease-Free - 8/2/12
- Pet Obesity Is OUR Decision - 7/23/12
- Get Ready for the Dog Days - 7/6/12
- Knowing When It's the Right Time to Say Goodbye - 6/21/12
- Age Is Not a Disease - 6/11/12
- Demystifying the Cat Diet - 5/29/12
- Dentistry by the Non-Professional - 5/16/12
- The Dogs in Our Lives - 5/3/12
- Pet Food Labels 101 - 4/25/12
- Pet Food Labels - 4/18/12
As the weather changes in the northern hemisphere, many people start preparing for freezing temperatures by using ‘antifreeze’ to protect their cars and plumbing in seasonal cabins. Spills and leaks of antifreeze pose problems for our curious pets, who like to investigate and taste interesting materials. Click here to read the full article.
AMC voted runner-up "Best Veterinarian" for the 2nd year in a row!
We did it again! We were voted "Runner-Up Best Veterinarian" in the Chicago Reader's 2013 Best of Chicago poll. Click here to see the results. Our most sincere gratitude goes to all our supporters. We will continue to provide your pet the best veterinary care. Thank you.
Dog & Cat Blood Drive Screening
To benefit Animal Emergency & Treatment Centers Blood Bank
Location: Animal Medical Center of Chicago (1618 W. Diversey Chicago IL 60614)
Date: Saturday, April 6th 2013
Time: 10:00am - 2:00pm (RSVP Required)
Animal Medical Center of Chicago is proud to host a Canine & Feline Blood Drive Screening to benefit Animal Emergency & Treatment Centers Blood Bank. The screenings will be held at Animal Medical Center, 1618 W Diversey Chicago IL, on Saturday April 6th from 10:00AM to 2:00PM.
Doctors and technicians from Animal Emergency and Treatment Centers, Chicago Location, Blood Bank will be on-site to examine potential donors. Pets will NOT be giving a full donation at the drive, just a few milliliters of blood for a blood-type screening to determine if the animal would be a suitable donor. Not all pet blood types are eligible to make donations, due to how the blood is accepted by the recipient.
If it is determined that your dog or cat is a good candidate to be a donor, additional blood will be sent to the lab to rule out any health concerns. Once a clean bill of health is determined, your pet will donate blood during routine visits to AETC blood bank, located at 3927 W. Belmont Ave, Chicago IL 60618, every few months during the year. Healthy animals can safely give blood every 30 days. A commitment of six donations per year is requested.
Basic requirements for pets that wish to donate include; in good health, spayed or neutered, current on vaccinations, have never received a blood transfusion, no history of breeding, and must have a good disposition. In addition dogs should be: greater than 50 pounds, 1-7 years of age, on current heartworm prevention, and using flea/tick prevention. Cat should be: greater than 10 pounds, 1-7 years of age, Feline Leukemia/FIV negative and indoor only.
It is requested that pet owners who are not clients of Animal Medical Center of Chicago, have their regular vet fax full medical records, including all notes and any blood work to 773-525-3280, Attn: Nick Anderson.
Dogs and cats that go on to make donations to the blood bank will receive the following from Animal Emergency and Treatment Center as compensation for their time; A $25 credit towards AETC hospital services for each donation, annual screening bloodwork until retirement at AETC's expense, complete physical exam and RBC count at each donation, blood products at no charge for the donor's lifetime, and most importantly the satisfaction of saving lives with each donation.
This event is open to everyone but an RSVP is required. Pet owners do not need to be clients of Animal Medical Center of Chicago to participate. For additional information or to RSVP a spot for pet blood donation screening please call Animal Medical Center of Chicago at 773-525-3353 and ask for Nick Anderson. You may also email questions or RSVP request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to see the flyer for this event.
"Have a Heart" Contest
Vote For Your Favorite Animal Rescue To Win a FREE Surgery
Location: vote at Facebook
Date: Monday 1/14/13 8am - Valentine's Day 2/14/13 10pm
Welcome to Animal Medical Center of Chicago's "Have a Heart" Facebook voting contest. Vote for your favorite animal rescue to receive one of four FREE comprehensive oral or soft tissue surgeries at AMC (each valued at $1,000 or greater). Your vote will help decide which top four rescue organizations will win a surgery.
HOW TO VOTE: Now until Valentine's Day (2/14/13) vote for your favorite rescue group at: www.facebook.com/animalmedicalcenterofchicago/app_278465152274055.
You must have a Facebook account to vote & only one vote will be allowed per person. Every vote counts so get yours in today!
Click here to see the flyer for this event.