News & Events
Dog Flu: Canine Influenza
Approximately three weeks ago, my Chicago practice experienced a tremendous rise in the number of dogs experiencing respiratory diseases. Initially many of these dogs were energetic with deep, harsh coughs without a fever. The doctors at Animal Medical Center of Chicago tentatively diagnosed them with Canine Infectious Tracheobronchitis, or "Kennel Cough". Viral agents, like Canine Adenovirus 2 or Canine Parainfluenza, and bacterial agents, like Bordetella Bronchiseptica and Mycoplasma, can cause Canine Infectious Tracheobronchitis. All of our patients responded well to supportive therapy, which included antibiotics and cough suppressants. However, recently we have been seeing a number of dogs with more severe respiratory disease. These dogs are presenting with high fevers (103 to 105 degrees Fahrenheit), moderate to profound lethargy, nasal discharge, depressed appetites and labored respiration. These patients, we suspect, have Canine Influenza caused by the Influenza virus H3N8 strain.
Pet Travel Safety Tips
The summer travel season is quickly approaching and many of us will bring our pets along for the ride. We wanted to remind pet owners to use safe methods of travel for the entire family, including the dogs and cats on board. Recently, one of our young canine patients fell out of a moving vehicle and instantly died. This tragic incident brought to our attention that some pet owners are unknowingly taking unnecessary risks when traveling with their pets. We hope the following car travel tips will ensure your pet's safety.
5,170 Pounds of Pet Food Donated!!!
We want to thank everyone who donated to our Pet Food Drive Challenge. During this two week period Animal Medical Center of Chicago and Integrative Pet Care collected a combined total of 5,170 pounds of dog and cat food to donate to Friendship Pet Food Pantry. The drive was a huge success and we look forward to doing it again next year. We are so touched by the generosity of our fellow Chicagoans!
Pet Food Drive Challenge: 3/16-3/31
WE NEED YOUR HELP!
Animal Medical Center of Chicago has challenged Integrative Pet Care to a contest for charity. From 3/16 until 3/31 we're going to see which location can collect the most pounds of pet food for Friendship Pet Food Pantry.
We need your help to win! Read the press release!
You can help by donating unopened bags or cans of dog or cat food anytime between now and 3/31/15. Donations can be dropped off at Animal Medical Center of Chicago, located at 1618 W. Diversey, during our regular business hours.
Or you may purchase pet food for donation over the phone, at a discounted rate. Call us at 773-525-3353 for details. Thank you in advance for your donation and for choosing Animal Medical Center of Chicago for your pet's health care!
Dr. Solomon on CBS!
Our very own Dr. Solomon was interviewed on the CBS Evening News on March 10, 2015 regarding the uptick in kennel cough cases among Chicago area dogs.
We Have a New Video
Check out the new video we took part in with our friends over at Integrative Pet Care. It documents the shared rehabilitation success story of Caesar, a 12 year old Chocolate Lab. We have worked with Integrative Pet Care for over 8 years and they have been amazing partners in providing the best animal medical care.
Dr. Solomon's Huffington Post Blog
Our very own, Dr. Solomon, is writing a blog at The Huffington Post! We have archived them below. Be sure to check back here every week for more.
- Dog Flu: Canine Influenza - 3/31/15
- Brewing Beer at Home: Risk of Hops Toxicity in Pets - 2/17/15
- Don't Underestimate Distemper: Vaccinate Your Dog Now! - 2/9/15
- Old Pets Die Soon and Other Aging Myths - 1/12/15
- Safely Living With Pets: Don't Let Your Pet Lick Your Face and Other Helpful Tips - 11/4/14
- 10 Tips to Being a Better Pet Health Caregiver - 9/15/14
- Grain-Free Pet Food Trend a Hoax? - 6/2/14
- Marijuana and Your Pet: Not a Good Time - 5/2/14
- Dancing With the Devil: A Puppy Mill Retailer - 4/16/14
- Don't Share Your Medication - 3/20/14
- Seven Dental Myths for Pets - 2/20/14
- The Internet Diagnosis - 1/24/14
- True Confessions of a Veterinarian - 11/26/13
- Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome: Dementia in Pets - 11/11/13
- Invisible Dental Disease in Pets - 10/21/13
- Struck by a Bat: My Son's Rabies Scare - 9/3/13
- Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Your Pet's Urine - 8/2/13
- Relief for Itchy Pets - 6/4/13
- Flea and Tick Control: Your Decision - 5/6/13
- The Socially Responsible Pet - 3/29/13
- The Secretive Pet - 3/11/13
- Don't Give a Dog a Bone - 2/11/13
- The Scoop on Your Pet's Poop - 1/14/13
- Rat Bait on Chicago Streets - 12/14/12
- Diabetes in Pets - 11/28/12
- Don't Let Strangers Feed Your Pet - 10/29/12
- Is Anesthesia Safe for Your Pet? - 10/17/12
- Caring for an Arthritic Dog or Cat - 9/27/12
- Selecting a Veterinarian - 9/12/12
- Raw Confusion in the Pet Food Industry - 8/23/12
- Indoor Cats Are Not Disease-Free - 8/2/12
- Pet Obesity Is OUR Decision - 7/23/12
- Get Ready for the Dog Days - 7/6/12
- Knowing When It's the Right Time to Say Goodbye - 6/21/12
- Age Is Not a Disease - 6/11/12
- Demystifying the Cat Diet - 5/29/12
- Dentistry by the Non-Professional - 5/16/12
- The Dogs in Our Lives - 5/3/12
- Pet Food Labels 101 - 4/25/12
- Pet Food Labels - 4/18/12
The Giving Gift
In 2014, we will donate to a worthy charity each week. We'll try to make it a mix of both animal and human causes. We will post the organization and a little bit about them right here, on our Animal Medical Center website blog called The Giving Gift.
- Week One Donation: Alive Rescue
- Week Two Donation: Rain Dog Rescue
- Week Three Donation: One Tail at a Time
- Week Four Donation: The Night Ministry
- Week Five Donation: Kids In Danger (KID)
- Week Six Donation: Oak Park River Forest Food Pantry
- Week Seven Donation: Safe Humane Chicago
- Week Eight Donation: RTW Veteran Center
- Week Nine Donation: Back on My Feet Chicago
- Week Ten Donation: Community Pet Coalition
- Week Eleven Donation: Stewart Silverman's Ride
- Week Twelve Donation: Tree House Humane Society
- Week Thirteen Donation: War Dogs Making It Home
- Week Fourteen Donation: American Cancer Society's DetermiNation Team
- Week Fifteen Donation: The Anti-Cruelty Society
- Week Sixteen Donation: SPARK
- Week Seventeen Donation: ASPCA
- Week Eighteen Donation: Ovarian Cancer Symptom Awareness
- Week Nineteen Donation: PAWS Chicago
- Week Twenty Donation: LUNGevity Foundation
- Week Twenty-One Donation: Project Onward
- Week Twenty-Two Donation: The Honeycomb Project
- Week Twenty-Three Donation: World Vets
- Week Twenty-Four Donation: WITS
- Week Twenty-Five Donation: Lakeview Pantry
- Week Twenty-Six Donation: American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- Week Twenty-Seven Donation: Red Door Animal Shelter
- Week Twenty-Eight Donation: Felines & Canines
- Week Twenty-Nine Donation: Chicago Canine Rescue
- Week Thirty Donation: Chicago Cat Rescue
- Week Thirty-One Donation: Free Geek Chicago
- Week Thirty-Two Donation: HOW
- Week Thirty-Three Donation: Plant Chicago
- Week Thirty-Four Donation: The Greater Chicago Food Depository
- Week Thirty-Five Donation: The Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum
- Week Thirty-Six Donation: Friends of Animal Care and Control
- Week Thirty-Seven Donation: Open Books
- Week Thirty-Eight Donation: New Leash on Life
- Week Thirty-Nine Donation: National Runaway Safeline
- Week Forty Donation: The Animal Welfare League
- Week Forty-One Donation: MOPS Pug Rescue
- Week Forty-Two Donation: Howard Brown Health Center
- Week Forty-Three Donation: Bundle of Joy
- Week Forty-Four Donation: Best Friends Animal Society
- Week Forty-Five Donation: Polished Pebbles
- Week Forty-Six Donation: Chicago Public Library Foundation
- Week Forty-Seven Donation: Cycle for Survival
- Week Forty-Eight Donation: Purple Purse
- Week Forty-Nine Donation: Bryan and Amanda Bickell Foundation
- Week Fifty Donation: The Puppy Mill Project
- Week Fifty-One Donation: Slow Food Chicago
- Week Fifty-Two Donation: Friendship Pet Food Pantry
Winter Holiday Hazard from the ASPCA Poison Control Center
Here are some tips for keeping your pets out of danger during the holiday season straight from the ASPCA Poison Control Center. Click here to read the full article.
As the weather changes in the northern hemisphere, many people start preparing for freezing temperatures by using ‘antifreeze’ to protect their cars and plumbing in seasonal cabins. Spills and leaks of antifreeze pose problems for our curious pets, who like to investigate and taste interesting materials. Click here to read the full article.