The staff at Animal Medical Center of Chicago strives to limit their impact on the environment by reducing, reusing and recycling. We maintain the following practices to reduce our environmental footprint:
- We use a digital radiography system instead of a traditional film dependent radiography system to eliminate product waste and the use of hazardous processing chemicals.
- Our electronic messaging system dramatically reduces our use of paper and mail carrier needs.
- Proper disposal of medical and hazardous waste with a licensed medical waste disposal service.
- We provide our staff with dishes and silverware in the break room to limit disposable tableware waste.
- Request suppliers to minimize packaging materials whenever possible.
- In Spring 2013 new insulated glass windows will be installed throughout the clinic to minimize heat loss in the winter and heat gain in the summer.
Only energy efficient appliances are used on the premises.
- We use cloth surgery gowns, which are washed and autoclaved after each use.
- We reuse folders, files and paper when possible.
- Any pet food product delivered to our clinic in damaged packaging is donated to local shelters.
- We recycle all paper, cardboard, glass and plastic.
- We recycle printer/copier cartridges, light bulbs, batteries and aerosol cans.
- We use recycled office products including stationary, business cards and paper.