We are excited to announce that the American Association of Feline Practitioners recently recognized Animal Medical Center of Chicago as a Cat Friendly Practice in Chicago at the Gold Level designation.
As a Cat Friendly Practice in Chicago, we acknowledge that cats present unique challenges before, during and after a veterinary visit. Many cats have an aversion to their carrier, and may be sensitive to new sights, smells, and settings. At AMCOC, we understand these challenges and shaped our Cat Friendly Practice to help ease our patients’ stress.
From the perspective of the cat and its owner, we have evaluated every aspect of our practice and have made the following changes:
- Feline Sensitive Waiting Room: We now have a “Cats Only” waiting room on the second floor of our hospital. In this private waiting area, your cat will not be exposed to dogs. Alternatively, if you prefer to wait in your car until your appointment, please call the receptionist upon your arrival. We will call your cell phone number when the doctor is ready for you.
- Feline Only Examination Room: On our second floor, we now have an examination room designated for ‘Cats Only”. On your arrival to AMCOC, an elevator will transport you both to this room to minimize your pet’s stress and give them time to acclimate to their new surroundings before meeting the veterinarian.
- Staff Well Versed in Cat Friendly Handling Techniques: Our doctors and staff have received additional training in the distinct needs of cats and are trained in low-stress handling techniques. Feliway Pheromone: All cats will be greeted with a soothing pheromone treated towel and a room diffuser to comfort and calm them.
- Rewards: Throughout your cat’s visit, we will provide palatable treats to try to make the veterinary visit more pleasant. Feline Sensitive Staff: Our entire staff is aware that cats are NOT small dogs. We know how to interpret your cat’s subtle facial expression and body language to help detect illness or pain. We can use this information to create a diagnostic and treatment plan to keep your cat happy and healthy.
- Encouraging Pre-Veterinary Pharmaceutical Options: Due to anxiety and stress, we know clients often avoid bringing their cats to veterinary clinics for wellness examinations. Skipping wellness visits can allow subtle illnesses, like arthritis, dental or kidney disease, to be missed. We recognize that some cats may need pharmaceuticals or nutraceuticals to help reduce the stress associated with travel and hospital visit. If you anticipate a stressful visit to our hospital, please call one of our cat advocates to discuss anti-anxiety medication prior to this appointment.
We are committed to providing quality care to our feline patients and always strive to exceed your expectations.
We hope you and your cat find your next visit to AMCOC to be comfortable and welcoming.